External Research Fundings
Macau S.A.R. Research Fundings
- The Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT)
The purpose of the Science and Technology Development Fund is to provide financial support for the teaching, research and implementation of projects within the framework of science and technology policy objectives of the Macao SAR. In pursuit of its objectives, the FDCT supports, in particular, following research projects:
- General Scientific Research Funding;
- Joint Funding with MOST/NSFC/GDST/FCT etc.;
- Key R&D Program;
- Scientific Research Devices and Equipment Funding;
- Funding for Laboratories and R&D Centers.
- Higher Education Bureau
- In order to support the activities of higher education institutions in Macao, the Higher Education Bureau establishes the Higher Education Fund to support the activities of higher education institutions. The Fund supports higher education institutions for the construction of facilities and the purchase of equipment，conducting the academic research projects and for the grant award or providing financial support for teaching or academic research staff in higher education. The funding for academic research projects including:
- Specialized Subsidy Scheme for Training of Bilingual Talents of Chinese and Portuguese Language and Cooperation of Education and Research for Macao Higher Education Institutions;
- Specialized Subsidy Scheme for Macao Higher Education Institutions in the Area of Research in Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Macao Foundation (FM)
The Macao Foundation aims to promote, develop or research on cultural, social, economic, educational, scientific, academic and philanthropic activities, as well as activities that promote Macao.
Greater Bay Area Research Fundings
- Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province
In order to further implement the innovation-driven development strategy and promote the coordinated development of technological innovation in Guangdong, Hong Kong, and Macao, universities and research institutions in the Hong Kong S.A.R. and Macao S.A.R. can participate in some special research projects and funds supported by Guangdong Province.
- Guangzhou Municipal Science and Technology Bureau
University of Macau signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Guangzhou Science Technology and Innovation Commission (GSTIC) in 2017, in regards to the university as one of key external collaboration partner. Guangzhou Municipal Science and Technology Bureau released the “Guangzhou Science and Technology Innovation and Development fund for external R&D cooperation projects”, which provided funding availability to UM. This fund aims to encourage technological collaboration between academia and Guangzhou enterprises, and to foster development of strategic and emerging industries.
- Science, Technology and Innovation Commission of Shenzhen Municipality
Science, Technology and Innovation Commission of Shenzhen Municipality (STICSZM) is the administrative department in Shenzhen, which coordinates the development of science and technology. It is responsible for managing the national/provincial programs and projects, formulating the related rules and regulations, training and providing support service to high-tech enterprises, and promoting high-tech achievement transformation and applied technology development. In addition, it is involved in promoting the development of related strategic emerging industries, as well as the construction and management of the city’s high-tech zones, etc.
- Zhuhai Municipal Science and Technology Innovation Bureau
Zhuhai Municipal Science and Technology Innovation Bureau (ZHMSTIB) is the department of Zhuhai People’s Government. One of its functions is to promote external scientific and technological cooperation and exchanges of scientific and technological talents, and participate in the promotion of technological innovation and cooperation in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
National Research Fundings
- National Natural Science Foundation of China
The National Natural Science Foundation of China adapts to the phased development needs of basic research funding management, coordinates the key elements of basic research, and gradually builds a four-in-one funding structure of exploration, talent, tools, and integration. The common project types are as follows:
- General program
- Major program
- Young scientists fund
- Excellent Young Scientists Fund
- Excellent Young Scientists Fund (Hong Kong and Macao)
- Joint Research Fund for Overseas Chinese Scholars and Scholars in Hong Kong and Macao
- Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China
According to the Agreement between the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China and the Macao Science and Technology Development Fund on Jointly Funding Cooperative R&D Projects between the two regions, the Macao Science and Technology Development Fund and the Ministry of Science and Technology jointly launched a joint research funding project.