1995 Ph.D., Adult Clinical Psychology, University of Windsor
1991 M.A., Adult Clinical Psychology, University of Windsor
1989 B.A. Honours (Student of Highest Distinction), Psychology, University of Winnipeg 1987 B.A. General, Psychology/Sociology, Brandon University
Chongqing 100 Persons Fellowship
Research Fellow, Key Laboratory of Cognition & Personality, Southwest University
Research Fellow-in-Residence, The Cairns Institute, James Cook University, Australia
Research Performance Award Winner: Most A and A+ Publications, Faculty of Arts, Education and Social Sciences for 2007-2009. James Cook University, Australia
Letter of Commendation. Undergraduate teaching (Psychopathology), Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Faculty of Arts, Education, Social Sciences. James Cook University
Inclusion in Who's Who in Science and Engineering [one nomination]
Letter of Commendation. Undergraduate teaching (Psychopathology), Pro-Vice Chancellor, Faculty of Arts, Education, Social Sciences. James Cook University
Inclusion in Who’s Who Among American Teachers: 8th Edition [two nominations]
Rhea Das Award for Excellence in Scholarship, University of Wisconsin-Superior
Inclusion in Who’s Who Among American Teachers: 7th Edition [one nomination]
Excellence in Leadership Award: Academic Advisement. UW-Superior
Graduated as Student of Highest Distinction [GPA above 3.90 on 4.00 scale], University of Winnipeg
Graduated with Honours [GPA above 3.50 on 4.00 scale], Brandon University
American Psychological Society (member)
American Psychological Association (member)
Canadian Psychological Association (member)
College of Psychologists for Ontario (member)
Ontario Psychological Association (member)
Manitoba Psychological Association (student affiliate)
• Neural, cognitive, and psychosocial influences on responses to laboratory pain and clinical pain.
• Adjustment to chronic illness
• Neurocognitive, developmental, psychosocial, and sociocultural influences on body dissatisfaction, disordered eating, and obesity.
• Personal and interpersonal responses to stressors
Anxiety-based problems in academic contexts
• Li, F., & Jackson, T. (2020). Gray matter volume differences between lower, average, and higher pain resilience subgroups. Psychophysiology. In press.
• You, B., & Jackson, T. (2020). Factor structure and construct validity of the Pain Resilience Scale within Chinese adult chronic musculoskeletal pain samples. Journal of Personality Assessment. In press.
• Chan, H. F., Suin, H., Jackson, T., Vlaeyen, J. W. S., & Barry, T. J. (2020). Pain-related attentional processes: a systematic review of eye-tracking research. Clinical Psychology Review. In press.
• Luo, Y., Jackson T., Stice, E., & Chen, H. (2020). Effectiveness of an internet dissonance-based eating disorder prevention intervention among body dissatisfied young Chinese women. Behaviour Therapy. In press.
• Chan, H. F., Jackson, T., Hsiao, J. H., Chan, A. B., & Barry, T. J. (2020). The interrelation between interpretation biases, threat expectancies and pain-related attentional processing. European Journal of Pain. In press.
• Chen, S., Pui, J., Ye, X., Wang, Y., & Jackson, T. (2020). Factor structure, correlates, and incremental validity of the Pain Appraisal Inventory-Short Form. Journal of Health Psychology. In press. doi.org/10.1177/1359105317753716.
• Bo, H. X., Yang, Y., Zhang, D. Y., Zhang, M., Wang, P. H., Liu, X. H., Ge, L. N., Lin, W. X., Xu, Y., Zhang, W. L., Li, F. J., Xu, X. J., Wu, H. H., Jackson, T., Ungvari, G. S., Cheung, T., & Xiang, Y. T. (2020). The prevalence of depression and its association with quality of life among pregnant and postnatal women in China: a multicenter study. Scientific Reports. In press.
• Liu, Y, Zhang, L., Jackson, T., Wang, J., Yang, R., & Chen, H. (2020). Effects of negative mood state on event-related potentials of restrained eating subgroups during an inhibitory control task. Behavioural Brain Research. doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2019.112249.
• Zhang, Y., Wang, S., Wei, L., Jackson, T., Gao, X., Xiao, M., Gong, G., & Chen, H. (2020). Resting state differences between successful and unsuccessful restrained eaters. Brain Imaging and Behavior. In press. doi.org/10.1007/s11682-020-00300-y.
• Jackson, T., Xu, T., & Jie, X. (2020). Arthritis self-efficacy beliefs and functioning among osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis patients: A meta-analytic review. Rheumatology, 59, 948-958. doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/kez219
• Jackson, T., Cai, L., & Chen, H. (2020). Asian versus Western appearance media influences and changes in body image concerns: A 12-month prospective study of young Chinese women. Body Image, 33, 214-221. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2020.03.008
• Rao, W. W., Zong, Q.Q., Zhang, J. W., An, R., Jackson, T., Ungvari, G. S., Xiang, U. T., Su, Y., D'Arcy, C., & Xiang, Y. T. (2020). Obesity increases risk of depression in children and adolescents: results from a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Affective Disorders, 267, 77-85. doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.01.154
• Luo, Y., Jackson T., Niu, G., & Chen, H. (2020). Effects of gender and appearance comparisons on associations between media-based appearance pressure and disordered eating: Testing a moderated mediation model. Sex Roles, 82, 293-305. doi.org/10.1007/s11199-019-01058-4.
• Cai, L., Lam, K. H., Leong, H. H., & Jackson, T. (2020). Initial development and validation of the Online Appearance-Relevant Peer Conversations Scale. Body Image, 33, 115-128. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2020.02.012
• Wang, Y., Liu, Y., Gozli, D., Xiang, Y. T. & Jackson, T. (2020). The N2pc component as a neural index of early attention allocation among adults with chronic musculoskeletal pain. European Journal of Pain, 24, 1368-1376. doi.org/10.1002/ejp.1584
• Li, W., Yang, Y., An, R., Zhang, L., Ungvari, G. S., Jackson, T., Yuan, Z., & Xiang, Y. T.
(2020). Prevalence of comorbid depression in patients with schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Journal of Affective Disorders, 273, 524-531. doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2020.04.056
• Swami, V. S., Tran, U. S., Barron, D., et al. (2020). The Breast Size Satisfaction Survey
(BSSS): Breast size dissatisfaction and its antecedents and outcomes in women from 40 nations. Body Image, 32, 199-217. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2020.01.006
• Jackson, T., Yang, Z., & Lin, S. (2019). Pain-related gaze biases and later functioning among
adults with chronic pain: A longitudinal eye-tracking study. PAIN, 160, 2221-2227. doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001614
• Ling, Y., Yang, Z., & Jackson, T. (2019). Visual attention to pain cues for impending touch
versus impending pain: An eye-tracking study. European Journal of Pain, 23, 1527-1537. doi.org/10.1002/ejp.1428
• Zheng, P., Lyu, Z., & Jackson, T. (2019). Effects of trait fear of pain on event-related potentials to word cues that signal potential pain. European Journal of Neuroscience. doi.org/10.1111/ejn.14495.
• Huang, Y., Li, X., Jackson, T., Chen, S., Meng, J., Qiu, J., & Chen, H. (2019). Interaction
effect of sex and body mass index on gray matter volume. Frontiers of Human Neuroscience,13 ,360-369. doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2019.00360.
• Chen, S., & Jackson, T. (2019). Causal effects of challenge and threat appraisals on pain self-efficacy, pain coping, and tolerance for laboratory pain: An experimental path analysis study. PLoS ONE. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215087.
• Liu, J., & Jackson, T. (2019). Testing integrated models of relationship satisfaction in married Chinese couples using the actor-partner interdependence model. Journal of Social & Personal Relationship, 36, 1256-1277. doi.org/10.1177/0265407518757708
• Chen, S., Jackson, T., Dong, D., Zhuang, Q., & Chen, H. (2019). Effects of palatable food versus thin figure conflicts on responses of young dieting women. Frontiers in Psychology. doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg. 2019.01025.
• Chen, S., Jackson, T., Dong, D., Zhang, X., & Chen, H. (2019). Exploring effects of single-session anodal tDCS over the inferior frontal gyrus on responses to food cues and food cravings of highly disinhibited restrained eaters: A preliminary study. Neuroscience Letters, 706, 211-216. doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2019.05.035
• Jackson, T., Lin, S., & Wang, Y. (2018). Effects of higher versus lower threat contexts on pain-related visual attention biases: An eye-tracking study of chronic pain. The Journal of Pain, 19, 649-659. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2018.01.011
• Wang, Y., Liu, Z., Chen, S., Ye, X., Xie, W., Hu, C., Iezzi, T., & Jackson, T. (2018). Pre-surgery beliefs about pain and surgery as predictors of acute and chronic post-surgical pain: A prospective cohort study. International Journal of Surgery, 52, 55-60. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2018.02.032
• Wang, Y., Liu, Z., Chen, S., Ye, X., Xie, W., Hu, C., Iezzi, T., & Jackson, T. (2018). Identifying at-risk subgroups for acute post-surgical pain: A classification tree analysis. Pain Medicine, 19, 2283-2295. doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnx339
• Chen, S., & Jackson, T. (2018). Pain beliefs mediate relations between general resilience and dysfunction from chronic pain. Rehabilitation Psychology, 63, 604-611. doi.org/10.1037/rep0000244
• Jackson, T., Lin, S., & Wang, Y. (2018). Effects of higher versus lower threat contexts on pain-related
attention biases: An eye-tracking study. European Journal of Pain, 22, 1113-1123. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2018.01.011
• Zheng, P., Lyu, Z., & Jackson, T. (2018). Fear of pain and event-related potentials during exposure to image-cued somatosensory stimulation. Brain Research, 1695, 91-101. doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2018.05.042
• Chen, S., Dong, D., Jackson, T., Zhuang, Q., & Chen, H. (2017). Trait-based food-cravings are encoded by regional homogeneity in the parahippocampal gyrus. Appetite, 114, 155-160. doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2017.03.033
• Wang, S., Yang, C., Liu, Y., Shao, Z., & Jackson, T. (2017). Early and late stage processing abnormalities in autism spectrum disorders: An ERP study. PLoS ONE, 12(5), e0178542. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178542
• Lui, J. H., Wang, Y., & Jackson, T. (2017). Towards explaining relationship dissatisfaction in Chinese dating couples: Relationship disillusionment, emergent distress, or insecure attachment style? Personality & Individual Differences, 112, 42-48. doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2017.02.041
• Su, Y., Jackson, T., Wei, D., Qui, J., Chen, H. (2017). Regional gray matter volume is associated with restrained eating in healthy Chinese young adults: Evidence from voxel-based morphometry. Frontiers in Psychology, 8: 443. doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00443
• Lyu, Z., Zheng, P., Chen, H., & Jackson, T. (2017). Approach and inhibition responses to external food cues among average-weight women who binge eat and weight-matched controls. Appetite, 108, 367-374. doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2016.10.025
• Lyu, Z., & Jackson, T. (2016). Acute stressors reduce neural inhibition to food cues and increase eating among binge eating disorder symptomatic women. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience. doi.org/10.3389/fnbeh.2016.00188
• Jia, X., & Jackson, T. (2016). Pain beliefs and problems in functioning among arthritis patients: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 39, 735-756. doi.org/10.1007/s10865-016-9777-z
• Wang, Y., Dong, D., Jackson, T., Du, J., Yang, Z., Lu, H., & Chen, H. (2016). Neural correlates of restrained eaters’ high susceptibility to food cues: An fMRI study. Neuroscience Letters, 631, 56-62. doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2016.08.017
• Jackson, T., Tian, P., Wang, Y., Iezzi, T, & Xie, W. (2016). Towards identifying moderators of associations between pre-surgery emotional distress and post-operative pain outcomes: A meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. The Journal of Pain, 17, 874-888. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2016.04.003
• Yang, Z., Jackson, T., & Huang, C. (2016). Neural activation during anticipation of near pain-threshold stimulation among the pain-fearful. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 10. 242. doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2016.00342
• Dong, D., Wang, Y., Jackson, T., Chen, S., Wang, Y., Zhou, F., & Chen, H. (2016). Impulse control and restrained eating among young women: Evidence for compensatory cortical activation during a chocolate-specific delayed discounting task. Appetite, 105, 477-486. doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2016.05.017
• Wang, Y., Jackson, T., & Cai, L. (2016). Causal effects of threat and challenge appraisals on coping and pain perception. European Journal of Pain, 20, 1111-1120. doi.org/10.1002/ejp.835
• Jackson, T., Jiang, C., & Chen, H. (2016). Associations between Chinese/Asian versus Western mass media influences and body image disturbances of young Chinese women. Body Image, 17, 175-183. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2016.03.007
• Jackson, T., Zheng, P., & Chen, H. (2016). Features of objectified body consciousness and sociocultural perspectives as predictors of eating and body image disturbances among young women and men in China. Journal of Gender Studies, 25, 599-612. doi.org/10.1080/09589236.2015.1073144
• Lyu, Z., Zheng, P., & Jackson, T. (2016). Attention disengagement difficulties among average weight women who binge eat. European Eating Disorders Review, 24, 286-293. doi.org/10.1002/erv.2438
• Wu, B., Huang, X., Jackson, T., Su, D., & Morrow, S. L. (2016). Counselors’ current counseling practice: A qualitative study in China. The Counseling Psychologist, 44, 306-330. doi.org/10.1177/0011000015622688
• Chen, S., Dong, D., Jackson, T., Su, Y., & Chen, H. (2016). Altered frontal inter-hemispheric resting state functional connectivity associated with bulimic symptoms in restrained eaters. Neuropsychologia, 81, 21-30. doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2015.06.036
• Chen, L., & Jackson, T. (2016). Early maternal separation and responsiveness to thermal nociception in rodent offspring: A meta-analytic review. Behavioural Brain Research, 299, 42-50. doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2015.11.022
• Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2015). Features of objectified body consciousness and sociocultural perspectives as risk factors for disordered eating among late adolescent women and men. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 62, 741-751. doi.org/10.1037/cou0000096
• Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2015). Predictors of cosmetic surgery consideration among young Chinese women and men. Sex Roles, 73, 214-230. doi.org/10.1007/s11199-015-0514-9
• Dong, D., Jackson, T., Wang, Y., & Chen, H. (2015). Spontaneous regional brain activity links restrained eating to later weight gain among young women. Biological Psychology, 109, 176-183. doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2015.05.003
• Wu, J., Dong, D., Jackson, T., Wang, Y., Huang, J., & Chen, H. (2015). Neural correlates of optimistic and depressive self-evaluation tendencies and the resting-state default mode network. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2015.00618
• Zhang, Y., Kong, F., Hasan, A. N., Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2015). Recognition memory bias in earthquake-exposed survivors: A behavioral and ERP study. Neuropsychobiology, 71, 70-75. doi.org/10.1159/000369023
• Jackson, T., Gao, X., & Chen, H. (2014). Differences in neural activation to depictions of physical exercise and sedentary activity: An fMRI study of overweight and lean Chinese women. International Journal of Obesity, 38, 1180-1186. doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2013.245
• Jackson, T., Wang Y., Wang Y., & Fan, H. (2014). Self-efficacy and chronic pain outcomes: A meta-analytic review. The Journal of Pain, 15, 800-814. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2014.05.002
• Jackson, T., Wang, Y., & Fan, H. (2014). Associations between pain appraisals and pain outcomes: Meta-analyses of laboratory pain and chronic pain literatures. The Journal of Pain, 15, 586-601. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2014.01.499
• Lyu, Z., Meng, J., & Jackson, T. (2014). Effects of cause of pain on the processing of pain in others: An ERP study. Experimental Brain Research, 232, 2731-2739. doi.org/10.1007/s00221-014-3952-7
• Li, H. J., Sun, J. Z., Zhang, Q. L., Wei, D. T., Li, W. F., Jackson, T., Hitchman, G., & Qiu, J. (2014). Neuroanatomical differences between men and women in help-seeking coping strategy. Scientific Reports, 4:5700. doi.org/10.1038/srep05700
• Liao, J., Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2014). The structure and validity of directional measures of appearance social comparison among emerging adults in China. Body Image, 11, 464-473. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2014.07.001
• Liu, J., Chen, H., Gao, X., Meng, R., & Jackson, T. (2014). Attention and recognition biases associated with stature dissatisfaction among young men in China. Body Image, 11, 562-569. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2014.08.011
• Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2014). Risk factors for disordered eating during early and middle adolescence: A two year longitudinal study of Mainland Chinese girls and boys. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 42, 791-802. doi.org/10.1007/s10802-013-9823-z
• Dong, D., Lei, X., Jackson, T., Wang, Y., Su, Y., Chen, H. (2014). Altered regional homogeneity and efficient response inhibition in restrained eaters. Neuroscience, 266, 116-126. doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2014.01.062
• Li, H., Li, W., Wei, D., Chen, Q., Jackson, T., Qiu, J., & Zhang, Q. (2014). Examining brain structures associated with perceived stress in a large non-clinical sample via voxel-based morphometry. NeuroImage, 92, 1-7. doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2014.01.044
• Jackson, T., Chen, H., Iezzi, T., Ye, M., & Chen, F. G. (2014). Prevalence and correlates of chronic pain in a random population study of adults in Chongqing, China. Clinical Journal of Pain, 30, 346-352. doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e31829ea1e3
• Shen, Y.M., Jackson, T., Ding, C., Yuan,D., Zhou, L., Dou, Y., & Zhang, Q. (2014). Linking perceived organizational support with employee outcomes in a Chinese context. European Management Journal, 32, 406-412. doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2013.08.004
• Meng, J., Jackson, T., Chen, H., Hu , L., Yang, Z., Su, Y., & Huang, X. (2013). Pain perception in the self and observation of others: An ERP investigation. NeuroImage, 72, 164-173. doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.01.024
• Yang, Z., Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2013). Effects of chronic pain and pain-related fear on orienting and maintenance of attention: An eye-movement study. The Journal of Pain, 14, 1148-1157. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2013.04.017
• Jackson, T., Huang, A., Chen, H., Gao, X., Zhang, Y. , & Zhong, X. (2013). Predictors of willingness to use HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among female sex workers in Southwest China. AIDS Care, 25, 601-605. doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2012.726341
• Gao, X., Li, X., Yang, X., Wang, Y., Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2013). I can’t stop looking at them: Interactive effects of body mass index and weight dissatisfaction on attention towards body shape photographs. Body Image, 10, 191-199. doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2012.12.005
• Luo, Y., Jackson T., Wang, X., & Huang X. (2013). Neural correlates of self-appraisals in the near and distant future: An event-related potential study. PLoS ONE, 8(12), e84332. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0084332
• Wang X., Huang X., Jackson T., & Chen, R. (2012). Components of implicit stigma against mental illness among Chinese students. PLoS ONE, 7. e46016. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0046016
• Chen, H., & Jackson, T. (2012). Gender and age group differences in mass media and interpersonal correlates of body dissatisfaction among Chinese adolescents. Sex Roles, 66, 3-20. doi.org/10.1007/s11199-011-0056-8
• Jackson, T., Huang, A., Chen, H., Gao, X., Zhong, X., & Zhang, Y. (2012). Cognitive, psychosocial, and sociodemographic predictors of willingness to use HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis among Chinese men who have sex with men. AIDS & Behavior, 16, 1853-1861. doi.org/10.1007/s10461-012-0188-z
• Agar-Wilson, M., & Jackson, T. (2012). Are emotion regulation skills related to adjustment among people with chronic pain, independent of pain coping? European Journal of Pain, 16, 105-114. doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2011.05.011
• Jackson, T., Yang, Z., Li, X., Chen, H., Huang, X., & Meng, J. (2012). Coping when pain is a potential threat: The efficacy of acceptance versus cognitive distraction. European Journal of Pain, 16, 390-400. doi.org/10.1002/j.1532-2149.2011.00019.x
• Yang, Z., Jackson, T., Gao, X., & Chen, H. (2012). Identifying selective visual attention biases related to fear of pain by tracking eye movements within a dot-probe paradigm. Pain, 153, 1742-1748. doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2012.05.011
• Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2011). Risk factors for disordered eating during early and middle adolescence: Prospective evidence from Mainland Chinese boys and girls. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120, 454-464. doi.org/10.1037/a0022122
• Lia, O., Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2011). Attentional and memory biases among weight dissatisfied young women: Evidence from a dichotic listening paradigm. Cognitive Therapy & Research, 35, 434-441. doi.org/10.1007/s10608-010-9312-4
• Gao, X., Wang, Q., Jackson, T., Zhao, G., Liang, Y., & Chen, H. (2011). Biases in orientating and maintenance of gaze among weight dissatisfied women: An eye-movement study. Behaviour Research & Therapy, 49, 253-259. doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2011.01.009
• Zhang, Y., Kong, F., Chen, H., Jackson, T., Han. L., Meng, J., Yang, Z., Gao, J., & Najam ul Hasan, A. (2011). Identifying cognitive preferences for attractive female faces: An ERP experiment using a study-test paradigm. Journal of Neuroscience Research, 89, 1887-1893. doi.org/10.1002/jnr.22724
• Jackson, T. & Phillips, H. (2011). Social comparison standards, threat and tolerance for experimentally-induced pain. European Journal of Pain, 15, 1081-1086. doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2011.04.008
• Gao, X., Deng, X., Chen, N., Luo, W., Hu, L., Jackson, T., & Chen, H. (2011). Attentional biases among body-dissatisfied young women: an ERP study with rapid serial visual presentation. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 82, 133-142. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2011.07.015
• Cai, X., Li, F., Wang, Y., Jackson, T., Chen, J., Zhang, L., & Li, H. (2011). Electrophysiological correlates of hypothesis evaluation: Revealed with a modified Wason's selection task. Brain Research, 1408, 17–26. doi.org/10.1016/j.brainres.2011.06.056
• Psychology of Testing
• Introduction to Clinical and Counseling Psychology
• Thesis supervision